Financial management has always been a challenge for many people and the raft of recent changes to the pensions landscape means individuals face more complex choices and jargon that can often seem confusing.
So it is increasingly important that access to advice is an affordable option for all, not just the wealthy. Here at APFA, we will continue our efforts to broaden consumer access to professional financial help where needed, but we cannot do it alone.
This is why our 2015 Manifesto outlines the steps needed to help consumers.
Our recommendations for government, regulators and industry include:
- Ensuring a stable policy environment for advice, saving and pensions
- Applying better regulation principles to the FCA
- Having a fair time limit (a "longstop") on when a claim can be made to the Ombudsman
- Reducing reporting requirements and simplifying the FCA handbook
- Promotion of a greater understanding of the value of advice
Read the press release on the launch of the Manifesto.
Write to your local parliamentary candidates about financial advice issues using our template email.
If you have any views or comments on this, feel free to email the Policy team.